xAncient Ming TombsxAn-Ping SettlementxArtillery FortificationsxBuddhist MonasteriesxCity God TemplexCity Walls & GatesxConfucian TemplexFamily ShrinesxForeign Merchant HousesxFort ProvintiaxFort ZeelandiaxHistorical WellsxHistorical Western Style ArchitecturexHouses & GardensxKoxinga's ShrinexMartial TemplesxMedical God TemplesxMemorial Stone GatesxPantheon of Universal DeitiesxPresbyterian ArchitecturexTemple of the Five ConcubinesxTemples of Heavenly Holy MotherxTemples of Supreme Emperor of Dark HeavenxVegetarian Hallsx

Presbyterian Architecture

The year 1865, Dr. James L. Maxwell arrived in Taiwan from Scotland, are marked as the beginning of Christianity preaching in Taiwan. During the period of more than one hundred and thirty year's preaching, many churches and schools were built by Presbyterians in Tainan and some of them become inseparable parts of cultural properties of the city.

Founded in 1865 when Dr. Maxwell landed Tainan, Kan-His Chieh Chiao-Hui (Kan-Hsi Street Church) is special with classical entrance pediment and distinguishing dome. It was rebuilt in 1955. Built in 1865and relocated in 1902, Tai-Ping Ching Chiao-Hui is a church dedicated in 1902 with a stone-inscribed "Maxwell Memorial Church " sent from the Church of Scotland to Tainan as a gift. The church was built with a style that mixes Western and Taiwanese tradition and it started a reconstruction in 1951 and completed in 1954. The organization is like a small basilica to express a modern Gothic outlook. One of the highest landmarks in central Tainan at that time is the center bell tower.

Tung-Men Chiao-Hui (East Gate Church) was built in 1902 relocated in 1911 and reconstructed in 1926 in the look of a Small basilica.

The Presbyterian priests started to teach in 1876 for establishing a formal theological education system. Theological school is the earliest form of Tainan in the style combining both Taiwanese and Western look. In 1957, the chapel was built and decorated with motifs from religious buildings in the west.
@Build in 1885, Tainan Presbyterian High School was relocated in 1915 with constrictions for classrooms, dormitories and the lecture hall. The lecture hall is a two-story arcade building with delicate craftsmanship completed in 1916. Regional motifs and decorations can be found in this building.
@Built in 1887 and reconstructed in 1923, Tainan Presbyterian Girl School (Chang Jung Girl High school) is also a historical school in beautiful bricks.

xAncient Ming TombsxAn-Ping SettlementxArtillery FortificationsxBuddhist MonasteriesxCity God TemplexCity Walls & GatesxConfucian TemplexFamily ShrinesxForeign Merchant HousesxFort ProvintiaxFort ZeelandiaxHistorical WellsxHistorical Western Style ArchitecturexHouses & GardensxKoxinga's ShrinexMartial TemplesxMedical God TemplesxMemorial Stone GatesxPantheon of Universal DeitiesxPresbyterian ArchitecturexTemple of the Five ConcubinesxTemples of Heavenly Holy MotherxTemples of Supreme Emperor of Dark HeavenxVegetarian Hallsx