xAncient Ming TombsxAn-Ping SettlementxArtillery FortificationsxBuddhist MonasteriesxCity God TemplexCity Walls & GatesxConfucian TemplexFamily ShrinesxForeign Merchant HousesxFort ProvintiaxFort ZeelandiaxHistorical WellsxHistorical Western Style ArchitecturexHouses & GardensxKoxinga's ShrinexMartial TemplesxMedical God TemplesxMemorial Stone GatesxPantheon of Universal DeitiesxPresbyterian ArchitecturexTemple of the Five ConcubinesxTemples of Heavenly Holy MotherxTemples of Supreme Emperor of Dark HeavenxVegetarian Hallsx

Temples of Heavenly Holy Mother

In Taiwanese folk religion, Matsu, known as Tien-Shang Sheng-Mu, is one of the most important deities. Matsu was promoted as Tien Hou (Queen of Heaven) Tien-Fei (consort of Heaven) by the emperors for her miraculous power to help people in need.

There are many temples that worship Matsu as the main deity in Tainan. The statue of the goddess situated at the center and flanked by the two generals, Chien-Li-Yen and Shu-Feng-Erh. Matsu is worshipped among sailors; fishers and people must hazard their lives upon the waters because most of her miracles happened on the sea.

Ta Tien-Hou Kung was originally the residence of Ming Dynasty Prince Ning-Ching built in 1664. Shih Land asked permission from the emperor of Ching to worship Matsu officially in 1683 and ordered to convert the residence into a shrine for the goddess. The name of the shrine was changed to "Great Queen of Heaven Temple".

There are several renovations through various periods. The current structure was built in 1830 with traditional spatial organization. Dragon columns are great significance in the temple. The status and paintings are at masterpieces also. Prince Ning-Ching was worshipped at the rear hall in order to memorize his donating the building.

During Yung-Li Period of the Ming Dynasty (1647-1683), Kaif-chi Tien-Hou Kung was constructed. Kai-chi means that it is to earliest Matsu Temple in Taiwan. The dragon columns in the hall are artwork of the earlier Ching Dynasty.

In An-Ping, there is a temple of long history named Kai-Tai Tien-Hou Kung built in 1668 and relocated in 1962. After the fire of 1990, it was rebuilt with golden decorations and luxurious appearance. The temple worshipped Koxinga as a deity for his bring the status of Matsu to Taiwan.

In the early record, Lu-Erh-Men Tien-Hou Kung and Tu Cheng Sheng_Mu Miao were built. In 1970s' both of them were reconstructed in the layout the follows the traditional structure. However, Tu-cheng Sheng-Mu Miao was built in the northern palatial style while Lu-Erh-Men Tien -Hou Kungin traditional Min-Nan style.

xAncient Ming TombsxAn-Ping SettlementxArtillery FortificationsxBuddhist MonasteriesxCity God TemplexCity Walls & GatesxConfucian TemplexFamily ShrinesxForeign Merchant HousesxFort ProvintiaxFort ZeelandiaxHistorical WellsxHistorical Western Style ArchitecturexHouses & GardensxKoxinga's ShrinexMartial TemplesxMedical God TemplesxMemorial Stone GatesxPantheon of Universal DeitiesxPresbyterian ArchitecturexTemple of the Five ConcubinesxTemples of Heavenly Holy MotherxTemples of Supreme Emperor of Dark HeavenxVegetarian Hallsx